There are lots of hosting types available in the market and this makes it quite tricky for a user to decide which web hosting is best for him. Here, we are gonna do a detailed comparison between Shared Hosting vs Dedicated Hosting and will help you to decide which of them is best suited for you.
For doing this, we will compare the various aspects of these two kinds of hosting along with their benefits and shortcomings.
Shared hosting is the type of hosting, where multiple websites are hosted on a single server. This means that the web host that you choose provides its server space to many other websites, along with your website. This is an economical option for websites with a low budget. This is also useful for websites that might not receive a large amount of traffic. For e.g. for blogging websites, shared hosting is the correct and budget-friendly option. Hostinger vs Godaddy are the two major companies that are known for providing high-quality shared hosting plans.
Dedicated hosting is the type of hosting, where the whole server of the host is dedicated to serving only one website. This is beneficial for large websites, which need a lot of space on the internet, and thus, they need a whole server to themselves. It is a costly service, suitable to big businesses that have a wide scope of service and are of reachability. Bluehost is one of the best dedicated hosting providers available in the market and is even recommended by Elementor. You can also check Elementor Pros and Cons for knowing more.
Now let’s understand the various benefits and drawbacks linked to the use of both kinds of web hostings:
There are lots of benefits of using shared hosting and the major ones out of them are:
- The prices that websites have to offer to the host are very less. You can also choose the shared plans according to your needs.
- Shared hosting is very secure. The data on your website cannot be accessed by other websites on the same server.
- It is an easy method to create a website, with technical support provided by the Host itself, making it an easy option for beginners.
- Moreover, other issues like bugs or updates are taken care of by the host itself, keeping you free from maintaining it regularly.
These are the major advantages of using shared hosting for your server. As a novice, working on a WordPress, shared hosting can really help you differentiate between where WordPress Post and Pages stored.
There are several benefits linked to the use of dedicated web hosting and the major ones out of them are:
- When you get your website created on a dedicated host, you get the complete resources that are provided by that host’s server. There is no fear of slowing down the website due to large data traffic because, again, no other website is being hosted on your server.
- Your data cannot be intruded upon by any other website as there is no other website on the server. You are free of the fear of spam websites or malicious websites sharing the same server as yours.
- You can configure the webserver according to your needs because no one has access to all the resources apart from you. Your IP address is not matched with the IP address of any other website because you are the only owner of the server.
So, these are some of the major benefits of using dedicated servers. Although, there are also some drawbacks that one might face while using a dedicated server.
There are also some drawbacks that you might face by choosing the shared servers like:
- Shared Hosting is not a good option for websites with heavy loads of traffic. Some hosts provide low bandwidth, causing congestion of data. This can cause a slowing of the website, giving an unsatisfactory response.
- The resources provided by Shared hostings such as data processing and memory are limited in comparison to Dedicated hosting. There might be limitations on the content that you put on your website, as more than one website is being hosted on dedicated or VPS servers.
- Moreover, there are risks pertaining to the security of your data, as many websites share the same server. The technical programs provided in shared hosting to the users are very less in number as compared to other kinds of hosting.
- The extremely costly nature of a Dedicated Server may turn out to be a problem for some businesses. It might make them reconsider their needs and choose wisely.
- Moreover, finding out the location of any website on a dedicated server is quite easy. There are provisions of physical privacy and firewalls, but your location and IP Address might still be visible to see on any network.
- The upgrades will be provided to customers of Shared servers for free, whereas, the users of dedicated servers would have to pay for the same.
- Handling a dedicated server is quite tricky and you need to have technical knowledge for doing the same.
It is believed that your budget defines your luxury, and the same is applied in the case of web hosting. If you need larger space and isolated hosting, you should go for Dedicated hosting. But if your website is small and there is less traffic, shared hosting would be the correct option to choose.